Monday, January 28, 2008

Catching Up

Well I haven't posted since the RPT Razz tourney on Thursday so I'll say a few words on that. I must admit I like Razz. To me, it's a pretty simple game. I have a hard time figuring out why other people think it's so hard to understand. Frustrating? Absolutely. But the play of some people is very bizarre to me. I think what it is, is that many people have a difficult time remembering that no one else can see their down cards.

Up to the first break, I pretty much had my own way with some bad hands but good looking up cards. The only problem is that eventually, in a Razz tourney, you will need help from the cards; and I just never got it. My best starting hands always seem to get face cards on 4th and 5th street. In that light I slowly bled toward the second break, and finally died about halfway to the third break. I actually had a decent hand, and it took miracle cards on 5th, 6th, and 7th for me to lose, but they came and I was done.

The one strange thing that happened to me is something that should NEVER happen in Razz. Yet I was the beneficiary four time. Four times I walked with the "bring in" when I had a King or Queen up. Twice with a King and twice with a Queen. Here are the four screen caps as evidence:

On this first one, no one had a great up card, but when it folded to the 7 and only face cards were left behind, he MUST complete there. Heck even the Jack should with two kings behind.


This next is a little stunning. An Ace and a 2 folds with no other card lower than an 8 showing? I can see if the 2 had crappy cards in the hole and the Ace had completed, but the ace folds. What could the 2 possibly be worried about in that spot?


Here's another one where a 2 and an Ace folds. And the Ace was last to act before I walk. Everyone folds to the Ace, the ace only has to worry about my King up and he folds? Unbelievable.

And finally we see a 3 fold with only a Queen behind. You can't make this stuff up.


Saturday I was allowed a night out, so I went over to my buddy Doug's place. We played a little wii (he beat me in HR derby, but I took 2 for 2 in bowling). Then we played some RPT at a local establishment. All in all a good time.

I took my daughter to see The Water Horse yesterday. Nice family type movie, though a bit predictable. Nothing wrong with that though if it is done well. Good weekend.

No comments: