Monday, January 7, 2008

Sure, I'll Jump off the Bridge

If everyone else is doing 2008 goals, I guess I have to as well.

Personal stuff is just that...personal. But suffice it to say that my continued goal is to be a better person to the people who deserve it most, my family.

Poker goals. Now that's a tough one. I honestly have not given it a whole lot of thought, but I recognize the importance of goals. I know that at the base level, my goal should be to surpass my "successes" of last year (which really amounts to one big success and some minor outliers). That is going to be tough to do. Although I have made a conscious effort to play more, I still don't play an amount that would qualify as 'a lot' to many people. Couple that with the fact that I really don't play the tourneys that will allow me to score bigger than my one big win last year.

But perhaps I am setting myself up for a self fulfilling prophecy here. If I predict mediocrity, I will surely achieve it. So let's get ambitious and see what happens. My online bankroll is nothing to brag about currently. So let's say I build it up to $1000. Let's also say that I give myself at least a chance (i.e., play in) to win a medium size (prize pool) tournament again this year with the goal of two final table finishes.

Live play. Continue to host a fairly regular home game with the goal of enjoying the heck out of myself. Okay, okay, the goal will be to be up a net of $1000 by the end of the year. That should be achievable.

I went to AC exactly once last year. This matched the previous year's total. This year I want to DOUBLE it!!! Two trips to AC or the year is a complete FAILURE! Once I get there, my goal is to make more money than I did last year in AC, which was about $325 (net). I suspect those two trips will be made with riggstad, so it's sure to be educational and entertaining either way.

LAS VEGAS!!!!

I have no plans on going to Las Vegas this year....sorry.

I would wager that many will look at these goals and conclude that they are modest and weak. For many that may be true. I look at them as another step towards improvement of my abilities. To maximize the return on my limited opportunities. Quality over quantity. (Do I need to throw out any more cliches to get the point across?)

So there they are. snakster goals version 2008. I'm sure I have other goals that are not poker related, but it is of little value to list them here, so mind your own business.

2 comments:

Riggstad said...

Way to set the bar!

May I go as far to say that they are lofty at best.

Good luck either way!

jamyhawk said...

LMAO at "mind your own business".

You gotta go to Vegas. Once a year is a minimum for a poker player. Start saving now!