Thursday, February 14, 2008

All Systems Down

I got home last night to discover that my Verizon FiOS was down (is that Riggstad I hear laughing in the background?). That means Internet, Television and Phone…all out. Of course the phone wasn’t a big deal, but the other two were a bummer. I called verizon up to see if I was an isolated victim, or if it was a broader issue. I was relieved to find out it was a broader issue. This was the first time FiOS has crapped out on me, and the weather has been pretty crappy. No biggie…THIS time.

My wife, bless her heart, was concerned about whether I was going to miss a tournament. Fortunately the answer was no (sorry Mookie). It was all just as well. I had an errand to run after scraping up something to eat, then I had to pick up my daughter and her friend from a Wednesday night activity. I got home to see my son had taken over the TV (again) with a Scooby Doo video.

After I got everyone safely off to bed, I popped in A Few Good Men; one of my comfort movies. It’s like potato chips for the mind. I think this was the first time I watched it on my big screen TV. Quick review: it’s still good. The good news is services were restored by the time I woke up this morning. I should be good to go for the RPT this evening.

I was a little perturbed this morning when I did a quick read of the Riverchaser message boards. A gentleman was taking Riggs to task over the absence (so far) of the top 100 freerolls for the online tour. Apparently the only reason he played that particular $10 tournament was to qualify for the freeroll and the big payday that it represents (sarcasm intended). It seems he’s deep enough to play any other $10 tournament he wants, but played this one for the big payoff at the end. Well bully for you. But here’s a question: how many of those other tournaments offered you an opportunity to play in a freeroll with 1 in 28 chance of winning an $18K Aussie Millions package? What’s that? SPEAK UP YOU UNGRATEFUL TWIT!!

Part an parcel to his criticism was the brushing aside of the participation of the RPT online tour on the BBT for an Aussie Millions package. At the risk of confirming myself as one of the RPT management ass kissers he refers to, I have this to say: go fornicate yourself. Are people really that stupid to not understand that these packages and freerolls are offered by a stand alone entity and that these are provided at their pleasure? Full Tilt doesn’t just give these things away because they think Al is a groovy guy. These are business decisions. The work and effort behind the Aussie Package (and future packages) can’t possibly be slam dunks. If the timing of a freeroll suffers so I can compete for a mega package so be it.

So if I may presume to speak for those who provide us with great opportunities, let me leave with a quote from another superb movie, Snatch: “Listen, you f**king fringe, if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not.”

1 comment:

BamBam said...

Well put Snak !

nh... VNH.