Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Worst Damn Poker Show

I had the misfortune last night of witnessing quite probably the worst poker television show ever conceived. Ironically, the title of this debacle is The Best Damn Poker Show. This particular disaster features both Annie Duke and Phil Helmuth sitting in a back room watching and critiquing amateurs playing poker. Apparently, based on their judgement, they are allowed to eliminate the worst players at the table and the best move on to some future round. I have no idea what that entails. God willing, I never will.

The production value was so bad, it looked like the budget was about $400. The video may as well have been recorded with $300 Korean camcorder. They were using chips that you could get at Wal Mart for $20. Neither Annie (whose failed solo show held the previous title as worst poker show) nor Phil could be bothered to dress like they were going to be on television. It appeared as if they rolled out of bed on a Saturday morning, put the clothes on they wore the night before, and hurried over to the filming. The location seemed to be half of a banquet room at a Holiday Inn. Plus we get to see Annie slugging down a large coffee that she must have bought at the 7-11 on the way in.

To sum it up, this show sucked from top to bottom. The teaser for the next episode showed a big blow up by Annie Duke over Phil's constant yammering. Ooh, how could I possibly not tune in to catch that forced exchange? Do yourself a favor if you make a wrong turn and find this show on your screen: change the channel immediately! Otherwise you may be tempted to shove long metal spikes into your eyes.

5 comments:

Riggstad said...

So you're not recommending I watch then?

BamBam said...

LOL Riggs!

In some subtle but yet un-assuming way........

I'm guessing the show was no goot?

So Snakster? I didn't see your pron name listed over in Bedrock.

Let's par-tiss-a-pate huh.

jamyhawk said...

OK. I'm a sucker. I want to see that trainwreck. There was a crash? Where? Let me see....

Thanks to your description, I may just have to gander a look see.

I will finish a terrible movie just to see what in the eff they were thinking they could pull off here. Then again, that was before I got hooked on online poker.

Now I just don't watch movies at all.... Poker anyone?

Gene said...

Howdy, Mean Gene here, I'm also the blogger for UltimateBet. I'd like to say that The Best Damn Poker Show ain't CLOSE to being the worst poker show of all time. Did you ever see that ghastly Guys vs. Gals poker show that was on GSN two or three years ago? The commentators were Kennedy (from MTV) and some radio shock jock guy, and they'd trade sexist barbs while three male and three female pros played what amounted to team poker. That show made TBDPS look like "The Wire".

I do have to admit that I never saw Annie's other show, I heard it was...I heard it wasn't good.

And having seen Annie and Phil trade verbal barbs in other settings, their brouhaha was definitely NOT forced. Like cats and dogs they are.

So far as responding to the rest of your critique...uh...I'm just gonna go now!

snakster said...

Point well taken on the guys vs. gals show. Hysterical amnesia has its benefits. But I challenge you to watch this show OBJECTIVELY and tell me it is even remotely interesting or watchable. UB does not pay me, so I can express an honest consumers opinion. That opinion is that the show is dreck.