Monday, December 17, 2007

The Dog Ate My Homework

File this one under "Famous Lame Excuses". Last night I missed the Blogger Skill game (that I had committed to play) because I fell asleep putting my kids to bed. As weak as that sounds, it is actually a very common occurrence in my house. The only difference last night was that it was me instead of my wife. The worst thing about it though, was that I woke up at around 11:45 and couldn't fall back asleep for two hours. However, I must apologize to cracknaces for not making the game. I owe you one. And not like a Julius Erving 'owe you one' from 1978 that turned into a 'we owe you five'. I mean a real 'owe you one' as in the next game you put on, I'll be there.

And now for the weekend update...First the dirty: I am the proud new owner of a roto-rooter type machine, being that I frequently have issues with the sewer main going from the house to the street. So there I was Saturday afternoon working hard on the latest 'issue'. I am proud to report the issue was resolved and water is again flowing freely out of the house. Add that to the ever growing list of things where I don't know what I'm doing but am successful anyway.

After that stress easing success, I attended a Beef and Beer benefit for the surviving family of a friend who recently lost his life in a car accident. The young man was in my fantasy football league that I just joined this year and his passing was as tragic as it was untimely. My regret is that I only knew him for a brief time and that is my loss. I say that based on the people who came to the benefit. It was a very good crowd. I think a lot can be gleaned about a person based on the quality of those who are close to them, and Scott's friends and family were first rate. Godspeed Scott, you will be missed.

Following the Beef and Beer, a bunch of us went to a Riverchasers event that was close by. This was at Champs Sports Bar at Center Square Golf Club. Although I am most frequently associated as a Riverchasers guy, my actual attendance at their games is a rare occurrence. It was good to see a bunch of people I don't get to see very often. I was half in the bag at this point of the day, so I played, as the saying goes, like a drunken lemur. As you might guess, this is exactly the style of play that brings success in these bar freerolls. I believe 72 started. When I got to heads up play, my opponent Ron (apparently being named Ron is also a necessary component for success) suggested we chop the first prize money ($100) and play out for the free golf second prize. Being that I have not swung a golf club in anger in several years now, I suggested we chop the money and he keep the golf certificate. He said that he didn't golf either. So we chopped the money and gave the golf to the Tournament Director.

As for yesterday....I fell asleep putting the kids to bed, remember?

No comments: