Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Introspection and Discovery Part 2 "So What"

Okay, so you've been bored to tears with the set up, and the obvious question is "So what?". Well that's a good question, thanks for asking. The "so what" is, I've uncovered a yet deeper discovery. And that is, I'm not doing myself any favors by doing what I'm doing. Furthermore, playing socially and playing to increase bank roll are not, and should not, be mutually exclusive entities. I should not be so wrapped up in one that I ignore the necessity of the other.

Or as Riggstad so ham-handedly put it, "WAH! get off the friggin Wii and start playing more...forgoe (sic) any further introspection of why, and get busy playing. You know its (sic) what you want to do " . And it's as simple as that. So Introspection is complete and I have Discovered what is in plain sight. Time to roll up the sleeves and dig myself out of this hole.

To that end, I have committed myself to start at the bottom and claw my way back to respectability. It shall be painful at the beginning because I will start my trek by playing $2 SNGs. It may not sound like a lot, but my goal is to play at least one per night. This is a step forward. It is at least an 800% increase in my current volume of play. Keep in mind that it is a stated MINIMUM and it is only the BEGINNING of my rebound.

I began my quest last night. After the family watched National Treasure together, and they finally went to bed, I sat down and played two $2 single table SNGs. One normal, one turbo (I'm trying to decide which is the best way to go). I think the turbo is the best bet.

In the first one I sat there like a rock, watching in amazement at the utter stupidity on display. Played a couple hands and was second in chips. Then this happened at the 50-100 blind level....

UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 (chip leader) limps. Folds to me in BB with K3s. I check the option. Flop comes K-5-3. I'm generally not one to risk a slow play here, but I knew a bet was coming so I check. UTG+1 checks. Chip leader leads out with a half pot bet. I raise to about 1100 (committing about half my stack). UTG+1 calls. Chip leader shoves. We both call. I show my two pair. UTG+1 shows AA and chip leader shows.....K7. He spikes his 7 on the river. As a side note, the AA limper did the same thing UTG earlier with KK. That almost bit him in the ass too. Who are these people?

Undeterred, I jump back on the horse and get in a $2 Turbo. People play even more recklessly in these (if that's possible) because I guess they figure they have no time. There was no moment in this game where I was in any danger and I took it down for $9.

Net result: Two SNGs, $4.50 in, $9 out. It's a start. Based on the events, I believe I'll concentrate on the turbos. The play is particularly bad and you are virtually guaranteed to get paid off when you make a hand. The only thing that can stop you is a horrible suckout or dead cards. That's the unfortunate aspect, you really have very little chance if you don't hit at least a couple hands. These people are seemingly allergic to observing the table or the board texture, so making "good plays" bounces off of them like bullets on Superman.

I do not plan on detailing my daily progress for two reasons. 1) It will save me from potential embarrassment and 2) it will save you from homicidal boredom. Periodic updates will be offered though.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

OhCaptain said...

Wishing you good luck!

I've been hanging out in the $2 SNGs. So far it's been an easy way to fill the bankroll, but it takes a while...don't quit the day job. $4.50 a night isn't too hard to make a night, it just doesn't add up that quick.

Riggstad said...

welcum (sic) back, and goods (sic) luck

:)

pokerDegen said...

Play 2 $2 turbos at once - they fill up fast enough that they'll start minutes from each other.