Friday, December 7, 2007

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

It was a dark and stormy night. By "dark and stormy" I mean that I did not have the funds in my account to buy into the RPT tourney. The rng had made me its own private Idaho the night before and I was sitting on a steaming pile of $6.12. Despair was scratching at my door...oh wait, never mind, the dog wanted to come in. But I needed another 5 beans by 9:00; I had three hours. My first inclination was to stick to the plan I had crafted scant days before. $2 SNGs. Scratch my way above the waterline, and try to cash in the RPT. However, with the debacle of the previous evening still as fresh in my mind as a Wendy's hamburger, I decided risks must be taken.

The decision was made. I'd risk it all in a single table $5+.50 SNG (I challenge you to find that sentence anywhere else on the interweb). I played strong. I played inspired. I played with the desperation normally found only in movies where the protagonist is very desperate. And thanks to the masterful blend of skill and skill, I took it down for $22-ish. I really don't remember the specifics. It was as if I was watching myself play, looking like a monkey on screen with virtual cards. Very surreal.

I immediately bought into the RPT to ensure that I save myself from myself (i.e., so I wouldn't piss away my gains before the tourney started). As it was, I didn't play anymore until the RPT started. Confidence had now replaced despair. It had been a while since I made any kind of splash in the RPT, and I was determined to alter that state of affairs.

It was another decent showing for the RPT, a little lighter than some recent weeks, but still 82 strong. I stayed with my game plan of pretty much solid ABC poker; trying not to take any unnecessary risks. I pretty much tread water for the first half hour or 45 minutes, then slowly started to build. Some time after the first break with 4 or 5 tables left, I took down a couple really nice pots and found myself as the chip leader. Discovering, not surprisingly, that I liked this position, I kept it until we got to the final table.

The final table seemed to take an eternity, There was a lot of chips being passed back and forth. Blinds were getting big and most were reluctant to put too much at risk to call a short stack's all-in. I stole a few when I could, got away from some hands when it was right to do so, and generally kept myself in a position to win. I had my share of luck to be sure. Once I was all-in with AJ vs. 99 (I think) and I hit the wheel. That was nice.

A near fatal blow was delivered when we got to four-handed play. The money goes in preflop. To my horror, I see that I am in a dominating position when the cards are revealed. So the following result was pretty much inevitable.






On the very next hand, I'm dealt A6s and I'm desperately short, so I shove. I get two callers who end up checking it down all the way. I was not truly comfortable until the turn.





YES! Back in business. But alas, it was only a temporary reprieve. I ended up going out in 4th when my KQs did not improve against a middle pair. Final results as follows:



Congratulations to actyper for the well played victory and for the seat. Personally, I was very pleased with the course of the evening. I was able to give myself a little breathing room going forward and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my swing back. Special thanks to my own personal Gunny Highway: Riggstad, and to Jamyhawk who was cheering me on from the rail.

5 comments:

jamyhawk said...

Congrats on your climb up from the bottom. And a respectable finish in the RPT.

Needless to say, I had had a few drinks last night, but was having lots of fun railing you.

jamyhawk said...

BTW, shoot me an email and I will give you more thoughts on the arm you are in: jameshawkins7 AT earthlink DOT net

actyper said...

ty you played really well. You win that AJ hand and you have a very nice chip stack.

pokerDegen said...

"I'd risk it all in a single table $5+.50 SNG" -- CLASSIC!!

Nice ROI for that 5.50 - congrats!

lightning36 said...

Nasty kick in the nuts you took with that A-J. Fun final table.