Tuesday, December 18, 2007

'Fantasy Boy' is Back

That was the moniker my lovely wife bestowed upon me a number of years ago when I was as fanatically obsessive about Fantasy Football as I am of poker today. This was not meant to be complimentary. It was her subtle way of telling me that I'd rather do that than anything with my family. I spent untold hours pouring over reports and research, both pre- and post-draft. My affinity for deal making was legendary, and I plucked more hidden gems from the waiver wires than can be recounted in such limited space. When asked what I thought of the team I just drafted, I would remark that it didn't matter, because none of them would be on my team by year's end anyway.

But that was then. A couple years ago, that fire was reduced to embers and was replaced, perhaps not coincidentally, by poker. I ended up retiring from serious (read: for money) Fantasy Football two years ago; eschewing the manic obsession that had so dominated my free time for so many years. Fantasy Boy was dead. My wife, ever supportive, assured me it was for the best.

However, this past spring, my buddy Doug (millerd33 on Full Tilt) came to me with an offer to play in his league. They were expanding from 10 teams to 12. They were a bunch of good guys, I was assured, and I would really enjoy it. Well who am I to refuse such a request? I still did not have the level of obsession that used to fill me up, but I knew a couple of the guys and figured what the heck, could be kind of fun.

I am happy to report today that I have reached the finals of the league after a decisive semi-final victory was secured last night. Being that I was not as all-consumed as I was in the past, references internally to 'Fantasy Boy' were more nostalgic than derogatory. It's nice to see the 'old boy' still got it.

Changing gears, Full Tilt last night started as another string of gruesome suckouts. I did not cash in any of the first 3 SNGs I played. So I decided one more for the night and that was it (a $6 six-man). The worm finally turned. With 5 left I had about 3800 or so with nobody close. It was at this point that riggstad, who was railing, AIMed me with, "If you don't win this one, you really suck". Then for good measure, "you know that, right?" I thanked him for assigning me the needed extra pressure. Despite his jinxing efforts, I was able to complete the victory and at least draw back to basically even for the night. Hopefully tonight will bring a step back into the plus side.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

www.10000smileyfaces.com

Be a part of the Smiley Faces Community and raise your blog visits...

jamyhawk said...

Congrats and GL in your fantasy league.